“The purpose of our lives is to be happy” Dalai Lama
We live in a society where the focus in life is to work hard and to earn lots of money. We are positively encouraged from a very young age, that that is what you must do to get anywhere in life. You must work hard at school, and get good exam grades, then go on to further education (where you will now rack up a huge debt). After this you need to get a “good” job; and work very hard, to earn enough money – to pay off the debt you have accrued to date, and to pay for somewhere to live (which will probably be almost 50% of your initial income!). From there, you meet a partner, possibly have children, buy somewhere to live. And as you get older, you buy a bigger house, newer car, pay into your pension etc. We assume this will ultimately bring us happiness. But when will we be happy?
Our emphasis is on acquiring external material objects, thinking that this will bring us happiness. But does it?
When I’m working with people who are starting to create positive changes in their lives, we look at what inner qualities they need in their lives that would bring them happiness.
Common themes that seem to come up are:
- Peace and quiet.
- Feeling alive, motivated, passionate, enthusiastic.
- Feeling like you’re making a difference in the world/like you’re being of service.
- Feeling like you are loved, acknowledged, worthwhile, valuable, attractive.
- Feeling excited about life/jumping out of bed in the morning.
- More energy/health/sense of wellbeing.
- Feeling abundant.
- Feeling secure.
- Feeling free and independent.
- Feeling fulfilled.
- Feeling like you have a purpose to your life.
- Feeling positive and optimistic.
- Feeling a sense of adventure and possibilities.
- Feeling like you have more time.
- Feeling more relaxed.
So the more energy and attention you give to increasing the inner qualities you want in your life and the more activities you can bring into your life that promote these feelings , the happier you will feel. Try it for yourself!
“Do What you Love and
Create the Life you Want!”
12 week online course